Getting to the British Virgin Islands
Need Help Navigating the BVI?
“What is the easiest way to get to my charter destination?”
This is one of our most frequently asked questions when booking a charter vacation in the BVI. There are a few options to consider. Choose the best airport to arrive after you determine where your yacht charter will start. Some vessels will start your charter in the USVI and then continue to the BVI.
Others will depart from a marina on Tortola, BVI. Please contact us for guidance so that you can make the best decision for you and your group.
- Fly from the USA to St Thomas STT, USVI – Ferries are available to the BVI from Charlotte Amalie (downtown) or Red Hook (east end)
- Fly from the USA to San Juan SJU, Puerto Rico – Connecting short flight from various carriers to Beef Island EIS, Tortola, BVI – Taxis are available to take you to your marina.
“Which ferry will we take if we arrive in St Thomas”
Ferry transfers are also often discussed. There are a few ferry companies who will transfer you from the USVI to the BVI and back.
This exciting ride takes approximately 50 minutes each way and prices differ from your departure terminal. Downtown Charlotte Amalie is about 10 minutes from the airport and Red Hook on the eastern side of the island is about 30 minutes by taxi.
Some ferries stop running earlier than others depending on the time of year. You may want to catch a later ferry from Red Hook depending on your arrival time. Please contact us to help you decide on the best option.
- Native Son Ferry, Tel: BVI (284) 954-4617 USVI (340) 775-8685
- Road Town Fast Ferry, Tel: BVI(284) 494-2323 USVI (340) 777-2800
- Smiths Ferry/Tortola Fast Ferry, Tel: BVI(284) 495-4495 – West End,
(284) 494-4454 – Road Town
Routes: Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas to Road Town, Tortola and West End, Tortola – Return
Red Hook, St Thomas to Road Town, Tortola and West End, Tortola – Return
- Speedy’s Ferry. Tel: Virgin Gorda, BVI (284) 495-5240, Tortola, BVI (284) 494-6154
Routes: Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas to Virgin Gorda, BVI – Return
* Please note that some ferries do not run non-stop to your destination and may stop to pick up and drop off passengers in St John, USVI. It is advised to check on the route and time of arrival to ensure that you arrive in good time for your flight check-in. Weekends are always more busy.
Private water taxis will arrange for transfer and customs/immigration clearance
- Dohm’s water taxi, USVI Tel: (340) 775-6501
- Dolphin water taxi, USVI Tel: (340) 774-2628
The full schedule is always available online: http://www.bviwelcome.com/ferries/
Having a hard time visualizing your crewed yacht vacation in the BVI? Take a look at a 7-day sample itinerary to get the ideas flowing and plan your trip.
“Must Sees” in BVI
While everything in the BVI is stunning, there are a few things not to be missed. Take a look at our favorite anchorages, tips and must see activities.